Welcome to Abbey Mead - Vol. 2
Dear Friends of Abbey Mead,
Now while William and Anne are living dangerously in India, I am sitting in the safe and cozy library of the Vicarage at Abbey Mead (aka my writing nook in the basement of my house). Here I am working on Book 2 in the series entitled The Lady’s Prayer. This book is already written, but I am madly tweaking and revising it. I am an obsessive tweaker!
As I mentioned before, Abbey Mead is a fictitious place. But Surrey is very real. As was the Addiscombe Military Seminary (1809-1861) where William and Anne first meet. The seminary’s purpose was to train young officers to serve in the East India Company’s private army in India. As a writer, what a joy to discover this useful tidbit. Addiscombe was located in Surrey! And it perfectly fits William’s story!! It is always gratifying to tie interesting events and real places to your story line.
When I began the novel, I wanted my hero to be Scottish, to serve in the cavalry, and I wanted him to ride a dappled gray horse. Can you imagine my delight when I discovered the British Cavalry Unit, the Royal Scots Greys! The regiment’s cavalry history began in Scotland in 1678 and they rode dappled gray horses! Eureka!
In the 20th century during WWII, the Greys finally transitioned from horses to armored tanks, receiving their first vehicles in September, 1941. But during WWI, they still fought bravely on horseback! Can you imagine that? Amazing!
PS In America, we write the color as gray. The British write the color as grey.
I look forward to seeing you at one of the Upcoming Author Events:
1. Author Talk: Thursday, September 13 / 6:00 PM / Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – Beechview* / 1910 Broadway Avenue 15216 / 412-563-2900
2. Author Talk: Wednesday, October 3 / 2:00 PM / Carnegie Library of McKeesport / 1507 Library Avenue 15232 / 412-672-0625
3. Author Talk: Tuesday, October 9 / 1:00 PM / Whitehall Public Library** / 100 Borough Park Drive 15236 / 412-882-6622
4. Author Talk: Tuesday, October 16 / 6:30 PM / Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – West End* / 47 Wabash Street 15220 / 412-921-1717
5. Author Talk: Tuesday, October 23 / 6:30 PM / Shaler North Hills Library / 1822 Mt. Royal Blvd. Glenshaw 15116 / 412-486-0211
*These CLP libraries will serve Mrs. Clarke’s Raspberry Tarts
**Whitehall Library will provide “special desserts and a chocolate fountain” / take a look at their amusing promotion: https://www.whitehallpubliclibrary.org/10934-2/
Wishing you well, I am as always, Audrey Abbott (aka Audrey Iacone)